Before seawater is desalinated, it has to be mechanically cleaned of debris in order to protect pumps, condensers and other sensitive downstream equipment from clogging and other damage. Aqseptence Group’s well-proven Geiger® -branded two stage water intake screening system for coarse and fine screening was chosen for this purpose.
Ras Abu Fontas A3 desalination plant, Qatar has installed a robust Seawater Screening solution made by the Aqseptence Group Germany.
For the first stage in the mechanical screening of seawater (coarse screening), efficient and robust Geiger® Cable-Operated Bar Screen with Grab Cleaners were implemented, and for the second (fine screening) the innovative Geiger® Centre-Flow Travelling Band Screens.
Total Plant Construction Time: 2016-2017
• Low/easy maintenance
• Robust and highly reliable
• Zero carry-over of debris to the clean water side
• Intense cleaning
The seawater screening equipment consisted of the following:
• 3 Geiger® Cable-Operated Bar Screen with Grab Cleaners
• 3 Geiger® Centre-Flow Travelling Band Screens with spray water system and
• 1 stop log
• 8 pen stocks
• Control cabinet for fully automatic operation and a Geiger Impressed
Current Cathodic Corrosion Protection System
• Total Flow Rate per channel: 20, 000 m³/h
• Number of channels: 3
• Bar Screen Spacing: 50 mm
• Geiger® TBS Mesh Spacing: 3.5 mm
• Water Source: Sea Water