In 2016 KPONE Independent Thermal Power Station (CCGT) was constructed to improve the distribution of electricity throughout the country. The power plant is a 340 MW (460,000hp) multi-fuel-fired thermal power station. At KPONE, seawater accessed through underground pipes is used to feed the power plant’s cooling water system.
KPONE Independent Power Plant, Ghana installed maintenance-friendly Seawater Screening Equipment as ideal solution to their mechanical seawater cleaning requirements.
For the first stage in the mechanical screening of seawater (coarse screening), the efficient and robust Geiger® Cable-Operated Bar Screen Cleaner was implemented, and for the second (fine screening) the innovative, compact and low-maintenance Geiger MultiDisc® filtration machine. A Geiger®Impressed Current Cathodic Corrosion Protection System protects the screening equipment in aggressive mediums i.e. seawater.
Commissioning year: 2018
• Low/easy maintenance
• Robust and highly reliable Travelling Water Screen (Geiger MultiDisc®)
• Compact design saves on construction costs/ space required for the onshore
pump chamber (Geiger MultiDisc®)
• Easy, time-saving installation (Geiger MultiDisc)
• Zero carry-over of debris to the clean water side (Geiger MultiDisc®)
• The seawater screening equipment consisted of the following:
• 4 Geiger® Cable-Operated Bar Screen Cleaners with conveyor belt for debris
• 4 through-flow, zero carry-over Geiger MultiDisc® travelling water screens
with spray water system
• 4 stop logs
• Control cabinet for fully automatic operation
• Materials: 316L for seawater wetted parts, well-proven in combination with
the Geiger® Impressed Current Cathodic Corrosion Protection System
• Flow Rate per Channel: 15,000 m³/h
• Number of Channels: 4
• Bar Screen Spacing: 60mm
• Geiger MultiDisc® Mesh Spacing: 9.5 mm
• Water Source: Sea Water